Default Text Size Larger Text Size Largest Text Size Print This Page Email This Page Article Menu Bar

Adult Protection In Minnesota

What phone numbers do I call to report suspected maltreatment?

Minnesota has a new central system for reporting suspected maltreatment of Vulnerable Adults called the Minnesota Adult Abuse Reporting Center (MAARC). It is a state-wide common entry point available 24/7. To report suspected maltreatment of a vulnerable adult, call 1-844-880-1574. This is a toll free number available for the public.

Who is a vulnerable adult?

A vulnerable adult is a person 18 years of age or older who

  • is a resident or inpatient of a facility or
  • is receiving services from an agency licensed by Department of Human Services (DHS) or the Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) or
  • has an impairment or disability that impairs the individual from meeting their basic needs and protecting themselves from harm

What is Considered Maltreatment of a Vulnerable Adult?

Types of Maltreatment:

  • abuse: physical, emotional, sexual
  • financial exploitation: misuse of a vulnerable adult's funds, property or assets
  • neglect: failure to provide for a vulnerable adult's basic needs. The absence of care or services to maintain a person's health and safety.

For additional information, please review the following brochure: Adult Protection Brochure

How Do I Make a Vulnerable Adult Report?

Call 1-844-880-1574: The Minnesota Vulnerable Adult Reporting Center.The MAARC Center has been developed to make reporting easier and to assure the highest quality of communication between state and county protective services. IF YOU ARE CONCERNED ABOUT THE IMMEDIATE HEALTH & SAFETY OF AN INDIVIDUAL, PLEASE DIAL 911.

Adult Protection Resource Links: