There are a variety of crime prevention programs/strategies that use specific approaches to anticipate, recognize, appraise, and address crime and/or the factors contributing to crime. Crime prevention may be targeted at different levels including the individual, community, family, or particular types of locations. Usually, individual level crime prevention refers to initial avoidance of crime; that is preventing someone from ever committing a crime. These types of crime prevention programs typically target risk factors shown to be related to offending.
Crime prevention programs or strategies focused on the community may target changes in the community infrastructure, culture or physical nature in order to reduce crime. Examples of these types of programs include neighborhood watch, community policing, and Weed and Seed. Particular types of places, because of their function(s), may be the focus of crime prevention as well.
Here to Help You
This page has been created to bring you relevant information for practical steps you can take to minimize your exposure to crime and help you assess the situations around you which may help prevent crimes before they are allowed to occur.
Crime Prevention Informational Files
Feel free to download and/or read the following PDF files relating to crime prevention, and be sure to check this page often for more information and tips.
- Back to School Safety Tips (PDF)
- Carbon Monoxide Prevention (PDF)
- Charity Scams (PDF)
- Domestic Violence Awareness Month (PDF)
- Emergency Response Guide (PDF)
- Fire Safety at Gas Pumps (PDF)
- Fish House Safety and Security (PDF)
- Halloween Safety Tips for Kids (PDF)
- Holiday Safety (PDF)
- Identity Theft (PDF)
- Latch Key Kids - After School Safety Tips (PDF)
- October is Crime Prevention Month (PDF)
- Reducing False Alarms (PDF)
- Respecting Diversity (PDF)
- School Success - Parental Involvement and Truancy (PDF)
- Security Tips in the Office (PDF)
- Snowmobiling (PDF)
- Theft From Person (PDF)
- Unconventional Motor Vehicles on Public Roadways (PDF)
- Winter Ice Safety (PDF)
- Winter Survival Kits (PDF)
- Workplace Violence (PDF)