Subsurface Sewage Treatment Systems
The Department of Development administers sewage and wastewater treatment systems in the County, based on state "chapter 7080" rules.
The principle objectives of the regulations include:
- Protection of Benton County lakes, wetlands, rivers and streams and supplies of groundwater essential to the promotion of public health, safety and welfare; the protection of the County's environment and its socio-economic growth and development of the County for the future.
- Regulation of the septic system for the safety of the supply of surface water and groundwater due to the susceptibility to contamination; proper construction, reconstruction, repair, and maintenance and proper septage disposal to prevent contamination of the surface and groundwater supplies.
- Establishing minimum standards for septic system replacement, design, construction, reconstruction, repair and maintenance to prevent contamination and, if contamination is discovered, to identify and control its consequences and abate its source and migration.
- The provision of establishing minimum standards for septage removal, transport, treatment and disposal.
- The prevention and control of water-borne disease, lake degradation, groundwater related hazards, and public nuisance conditions through plan reviews, inspections, septic system surveys and complaint investigation, as well as through technical assistance and education.
Permitting & Licensure
A permit shall be obtained from the Department prior to installation, replacement, alteration, repair or extension of any septic system in Benton County. For new construction and replacement, a sewage treatment system permit shall be obtained simultaneously with the issuance of a Land Use permit (PDF).
The State of Minnesota requires a license for individuals who evaluate, design, install, repair, alter, attend, maintain, pump, or inspect septic systems. You must have a licensed designer and installer to help you with your septic system.
- Are Mound Septic Systems required in Benton County?
- My septic system has worked fine for 25 years why do I need to have it inspected when I sell my property?
- How do I keep my septic system from freezing?
- Why do I need to pump my septic tank, and how do I keep it from Failing?
- Do I need to certify my septic system to build a garage?
- Who can I contact to certify my septic system?