Preparing a kit can seem overwhelming when presented with the task. The Mayes County Emergency Management Department from Oklahoma put together this easy to use shopping guide (PDF). It is divided into picking up items at different locations over a period of 24 weeks (approximately six months.)
Check off each item as you purchase it. Supplies may be stored all together in a large plastic container and / or food may be kept on kitchen shelves. Remember to rotate your perishable supplies and change your water every six months.
Remember to choose supplies that are specific to your needs.
- Check your house for supplies that you already have on hand
- Decide where you will store supplies
- Meet with your family to plan
- Explain how to prepare; explain when and how to respond
- Discuss what to do if you need to evacuate
- Practice your plan!
Select foods based on your family's needs and preferences. Pick low-salt, water packed varieties when possible. Canned meats may include tuna, chicken, raviolis, chili, beef stew, Spam, corned beef, etc.
Information copied from Mayes County Emergency Management.