Parks Commission Bylaws
Download a copy of the Parks Commission Bylaws (PDF).
Article I: Name of the Commission
The name of the organization shall be the Benton County Park
Article II: Vision, Mission and Purpose
Section 1. Vision
The vision of the Park
s Commission is to create, sustain and preserve excellent parks, trails and open spaces to enhance the lives of current and future generations of Benton County residents.
Section 2. Mission
The mission of the Park
s Commission is to contribute vision, leadership and recommendations to the Benton County Board of Commissioners for the best use and development of Benton County parks, trails and open spaces.
Section 3. Purpose
The purpose for which this commission is organized shall be to work as a team to:
- Study and determine the park, recreation and open space needs of the County and serve as an advisory body providing recommendations to the County Commissioners on matters pertaining to the planning, programming, evaluating and funding of park and recreation facilities and programs in accordance with Minnesota Statutes 398.31 to 398.36.
- Recommend priorities to the County Commissioners, with reference to the Benton County Comprehensive Land Use Plan for the acquisition, development, operation and maintenance of recreation areas, natural areas, facilities and programs.
Article III: Authorization
The authorization for the establishment of this commission is set forth under Minnesota Statutes, Section 398.36. Duties are delegated to the Park
s Commission by the Benton County Board of Commissioners by Ordinance Number 355 as amended, and power pursuant to Minnesota Statutes, Section 398.31 to 398.36.
Article IV: Membership
Section 1. Commission Structure
The County Park
s Commission shall consist of five (5) members : appointed by the County Board representing each Commissioner District. When no qualified members are willing to serve from each Commissioner District, appointments may be made without regard to District residency. However, all Park Commission members shall be County residents at the time of appointment and for the duration of their term of office.
Article V: Term of Office
Section 1: Term and Term Limits
The term of Park Commission members shall be for three (3) years, except initial terms shall be staggered so that no more than two members' terms expire in a given year. All regular terms shall expire December 31st. Current members must reapply for appointment, if interested. All members shall not serve more than three (3) consecutive three (3) year terms. Upon completion of the terms, a member may be eligible for reappointment after one (1) year of non-membership.
To ensure that the terms are staggered, the charter members will have the following initial terms:
Commissioner District 1 and 2: 1-year term
Commissioner District 3: 2-year term
Commissioner District 4 and 5: 3-year term
Section 2: Early Dismissal
Any member of the Park
s Commission who misses three consecutive meetings per year, or acts in a manner inappropriate to the duties of the Park s Commission is subject to removal at the pleasure of the County Board of Commissioners.
Article VI: Vacancy
Any vacancy in the regular membership prior to term expiration shall be filled by the County Board of Commissioners and such appointee shall serve for the unexpired term so filled. Said appointee may serve additional terms pursuant to Article IV, Section 2 and Article V, Section 1.
Article VII: Officers
Section 1. Elections
Officers shall be elected at the first regularly scheduled meeting of the new year. The County Park
s Commission shall elect from its membership a chair and a vice-chair who shall serve for a term of one year and shall be eligible for re-election.
Section 2. Duties of Chair
The chair shall preside at all meetings of the Park
s Commission and shall have the duties normally conferred by parliamentary usage of such officers. The Chair shall work with County staff to establish the meeting agenda.
Section 3. Duties of Vice-Chair
The vice-chair shall act for the chair in their absence.
Article VIII: Compensation
Commission members shall receive per diem and mileage reimbursement for attending meetings. Per diem and mileage reimbursement shall be based upon current rates and policies as established by the County Board.
Article IX: Amending the Bylaws
The Park Commission bylaws may be amended upon a recommendation from the Park Commission to the County Board. Bylaw amendments shall be effective upon County Board approval or at another date as set forth in County Board action.
Article X: Meetings
- Meetings will be held as needed when called by the Park Commission Chair in consultation with County Staff, but no less than twice per year. on an as needed basis.
- The Commission may establish and appoint committees. These committees shall meet at the direction of the Commission and shall report back to the Commission.
- All meetings shall be open to the general public and shall follow Roberts Rules of Order, Simplified and Applied, unless otherwise specified and/or applicable.
Article XI. Quorum
- A quorum consisting of a majority of duly appointed members shall be present at any meeting in which official action is taken.
As amended May 15, 2018.