Research shows that medication put in the trash or flushed into waste water systems can pollute water and harm fish and wildlife. Additionally, unused medications are too frequently stolen and sold to abusers. Properly disposing of these unused medications is the best way to ensure they stay out of our water supply and are not diverted for illegal use. The Benton County Sheriff's Office has a medication disposal site located in their main lobby at:
581 Highway 23
Foley, MN 56329
- Blister packs
- Creams and gels
- IV bags
- Pills and capsules
Items Not Accepted
Items not accepted include:
- Bio-hazardous material
- Chemotherapy or radioactive materials
- Sharps (including Epi Pens)
- Keep medication in the original container and place in a sealed plastic bag.
- Use a marker to cross off the person's name.
- If no original container, place the medication in a clear plastic bag and write the name of the medication on the bag.
- Take medication to drop off site.
Additional collection points
Medication collection points may also be found at the Sauk Rapids Police Department and Rice Police Department in Benton County. Maps to these locations and additional information on this program may be found here at the Benton Soil and Water Conservation website.